Monday, February 25, 2008

A Letter with my Response on ''I Sat Where I Wanted to at the Movies''

I Sat Where I Wanted to at the Movies I'm a 45 year-old African-American female and I remember at the age of nine years, in a small town Jackson, Missouri. I spent the night with a family member and on Saturday we went to the movies. We paid for our tickets and I began to reach for the door of the movie theatre and was told by a relative, we can't go in that door; we have to enter through this door. I was then led to a side door and up a very dark, narrow set of stairs. I found myself sitting in the balcony of this movie theatre. The white children were seated below. To this day that memory is with me. I don't remember the movie, but I remember that as if were yesterday. I had never experienced anything like that before. I lived in Cape Girardeau, Missouri and sat where I wanted to at the movies.Beverly PrinceIndianapolis, IN--------------------------------------------------------
I dont understand why people would waste so much of their own time and energy just splitting up each race through two diffrent doors to make their way in a movie theatre. The same places we go to now a days to relax, have fun and be yourself wasn't easy before, and not everyone realize's that. Also, the lady in the story mentioned that she remembers that day like it was yesterday, and to have a life-long bruise in your mind like that is cruel.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Neena!
I'm with you on this. I dont understand why people would go out of their way to segregate themselves from people with different coloured skin.

Good job! I love your blog! Its so pretty!

LOVE FROM BAYLEEEE

Division 1 said...

Neena, I love your comment 'to have a life long bruise on your mind'. I too do not understand how anyone could think in this manner, but then I remember all of the brave people who have done things to change the way we think and I say yes there is still hope for humanity.